Faith | Wisdom | Service
March 4, 2020
For more information, contact:
(334) 833-4515; email@example.com
A New Miss Huntingdon Is Crowned
Montgomery, Ala.—Nine Huntingdon College women competed for the title of Miss Huntingdon Saturday, February 29. Contestants accumulated points in the scoring based on interviews with guest judges prior to the pageant and on evening gown, poise, and talent during the pageant. Serving as master and mistress of ceremonies were Huntingdon seniors Mark Melchor of Madera, California, and Noah Harrison, of Montgomery. At the conclusion of the event, six women were recognized with awards:
- Miss Huntingdon 2020 is sophomore Brynn McGlamery, a religion major from Powder Springs, Georgia. The daughter of Brian and Michelle McGlamery, she was sponsored for the pageant by her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi. McGlamery serves as a member of the Student Government Association, the Campus Activities Board, a Student Recruiter, and is involved with Huntingdon Campus Ministries. For the talent portion of the competition, she sang “Never Enough,” by Pasick and Paul. She was crowned by Miss Huntingdon 2019, Linsey Smithart, a junior majoring in chemistry and psychology. Smithart, the daughter of Tina and Darrell Smithart of Andalusia, Alabama, is the vice president of her class, a sister of Chi Omega fraternity, and a member of the Exchange Club.
- First Runner-Up Addison Fuller, a junior business administration major, is the daughter of Bram and Melissa Fuller of Pelham, Alabama. She serves as vice president for her sorority, Phi Mu, and is the current director of public relations and the newly elected vice president for the Student Government Association, which sponsored her for the pageant. She also serves as president of the Business Club, an Orientation Leader, a Student Recruiter, and a member of the Political Science Club and the Student Alumni Association.
- Second Runner-Up Laura Vermillion, a junior English major, is the daughter of John and Michele Vermillion of Montgomery. She is a member of the Concert Choir, serves on the Campus Ministries worship team, and holds the positions of vice president of recruitment for the Panhellenic Executive Council and of co-philanthropy chair for her sorority, Chi Omega, which sponsored her for the pageant. She interns with the Huntingdon director of student activities. Vermillion was also selected as Miss Philanthropic in a contest that occurred prior to the pageant, raising $150 to donate to her charity of choice.
- The title of Miss Congeniality, voted by the pageant contestants, was shared by Alina Shoemake, a freshman physical education major from Stone Mountain, Georgia; and Hedvika Docking, a junior cell biology major from Lake Charles, Louisiana. Shoemake, a member of the women’s basketball team and the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, is the daughter of Marcus and Alexis Shoemake. Docking is a sister of Chi Omega women’s fraternity, an Orientation Leader, and a member of the women’s soccer team, the Student Government Association, and the Pre-Health Club. She is the daughter of Joel and Heda Docking.
- The Fan Favorite Award was given to contestant Alyssa Lear, a sophomore English with secondary teacher education major and the daughter of Charles and Sheila Lear of Greenville, Alabama. She serves as a Student Recruiter and as a member of the Huntingdon Cheerleading Team. Members of the audience voted for this award during the pageant.
Also competing in the pageant were:
- Lucy Burch, a junior double majoring in communication studies and English, is the newly elected president of the Huntingdon Student Government Association and a member of the women’s tennis team, which sponsored her for the pageant. She serves as campus activities chair for Chi Omega women’s fraternity, a Student Recruiter, a member of Campus Ministries, and a volunteer assistant to the Huntingdon Office of Communications and the Presidential Fellows Social Media Team. A native of Florence, Alabama, she is the daughter of Lynn and Brian Burch.
- Abigail Cody, a sophomore biochemistry major from Brownsburg, Indiana, is the daughter of Dan and Heather Cody. She is a member of the Huntingdon women’s golf team, College Democrats, the Student Government Association, the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, the Pre-Health Club, Circle K International, and Phi Mu women’s fraternity, which sponsored her for the pageant.
- Brittany Ann Kane, sponsored by the Huntingdon women’s soccer team, of which she is a member, is the daughter of Mike and Dawn Kane of Montgomery. A freshman exercise science major, she is a sister of Phi Mu fraternity and was selected to participate in the Freshman Leadership Initiative.
The Miss Huntingdon Pageant is an annual event facilitated by the College’s Office of Student Affairs, Student Government Association, and Campus Activities Board. Judges for this year’s pageant, each with many years’ experience as a contestant or judge for pageants, were Amanda Shaw Gaby, Catie Malone (Huntingdon Class of 2010), and Kylee Montgomery, all of Montgomery.
Huntingdon College continues a legacy of faith, wisdom, and service through a liberal arts academic tradition grounded in the Judeo-Christian heritage of the United Methodist Church.
-- Suellen (Su) Ofe Vice President for Marketing and Communications Huntingdon College 1500 E. Fairview Ave., Montgomery, AL 36106 (334) 833-4515; Cell (334) 324-6591 p2pdhz.com